Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ray Bradbury Fights to Save Library

How apt is this from the author of FAHRENHEIT 451?

Bradbury is a staunch defender and lover of books and libraries--a trait we happen to share.

I noticed he also claims to remember being in the womb and being born. Oddly enough, I remember it, too. (Or, at least, I remember remembering it. Not quite the same thing . . .)

And I've just got to quote this part from the article (for the ironic value, if for no other reason):

"The Internet? Don’t get him started. 'The Internet is a big distraction,' Mr. Bradbury barked from his perch in his house in Los Angeles, which is jammed with enormous stuffed animals, videos, DVDs, wooden toys, photographs and books, with things like the National Medal of Arts sort of tossed on a table.

"'Yahoo called me eight weeks ago,' he said, voice rising. 'They wanted to put a book of mine on Yahoo! You know what I told them? "To hell with you. To hell with you and to hell with the Internet."

"'It's distracting,' he continued. 'It's meaningless; it's not real. It's in the air somewhere.'"

Oh, really. Well, I wouldn't have known about this article without it, Ray. I can't help but love your crusty attitude (even share it to a degree), but let's face it. The Internet--for good or ill--is here to stay, buddy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews Last 30 Days

Followers