Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Will Ebooks Spell the End of Personal Libraries?

One good (or bad) thing about ebooks is that they take up no shelf space. Whether that's good or bad thing depends on how you look at it. You can free up a lot of shelf space in your home by reading only ebooks. And e-readers make it possible to travel with lots of books that take up no room in your suitcase.

However, one possible downside according to this article is that ebooks can't be displayed in personal libraries. For my own part, as much as I love my Kindle, printed books are sometimes more than just good reads. For instance, I keep all my autographed copies of books.

And, while it's true I haven't read every single book on my shelves, I've read most of them. And, unlike the article's author suggests, I don't see it as fraudulent to display books I've read (or hope to, eventually). I think of my books as keepsakes. I store them anyway I can and wherever they'll fit. If guests see them, they may provide a small window into my soul or the basis for a conversation. So, as I see it, books are much more than mere decoration.

But then, I don't live in a house with a personal library. Nor do I live in "a gaudy trophy home in the Hamptons," where "the crowd [is] blond and beautiful and the conversation dull and dutiful." (Photo by Ahndraya Parlato)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews Last 30 Days

Followers