Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Book Reviews and Ethics

As someone who not only reads books, but writes them, I try to maintain an independent outlook when reviewing other authors' work.

Generally, I don't find it difficult, in that I won't even read books that haven't caught my interest by page 50. This means that 95 percent of the time, the book will give me little to complain about.

One thing I won't do is write an out and out pan of a book. First, I wouldn't waste my time reading a book that bad. Second, it seems unnecessarily mean to write such a review. Finally, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was doing anything like this.

How sad is it that a publisher (or author!) feels the need to write fake bad reviews in order to compete? As sad as paying a PR firm to provide good reviews? Maybe more so.

Anyhow, instead of tearing each other down due to jealousy or insecurity, authors should learn from and support one another. That's my philosophy, anyhow.

So listen up, haterz. Chillax and get a grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews Last 30 Days

Followers