Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Toss That Book!

It's funny how some people simply must finish a book once they've started it--no matter how much they hate it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks life is way too short to spend reading books I don't like simply because I made the mistake of starting them. This article quotes many people who feel the same way. "Divorce That Book"--I like that. Frankly, it's not even that much trouble, is it? It's more like dating someone and finding out you're incompatible. Nip that relationship in the bud, I say.

I made the mistake of slogging through a book that was going absolutely nowhere and doing absolutely nothing for me. It was SOMETHING HAPPENED by Joseph Heller. I bought it because I loved CATCH-22, but CATCH-22 it was not. And I kept waiting for this "something" to happen, but nothing happened until the very end. And it wasn't even worth the effort.

So, my advice is to save yourself the grief, use your limited time on earth more effectively and, when you've started a book that you just can't get into, take Dorothy Parker's advice to heart: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews Last 30 Days

Followers